Best Crib Mattress For The Money – 2017
All you need to know about Crib Mattresses and how to find the best crib mattress for your child.
Sleep is essential for the growth and development of your child. It feels good to know that your baby is getting good sleep. This is why you need to the best crib mattress for your baby’s crib. Crib mattresses are specially designed to support the body of your child, keeping it comfortable and preventing it from suffocation. This is because a soft mattress that is not firm could conform to the shape of your baby’s head or face and cause suffocation or death to your infant. However, it’s important to do a thorough research when deciding to buy one and only go for the best option. Finding a really good mattress may take time and need patience.
What should you consider when looking for the best crib mattress?
- Firmness: A firm crib mattress is the best choice for your child. How can I know if it is firm enough? You can test this by pressing the mattress at the center and edges. A firm one will not take the shape of your hand and will tend to snap back quickly. That which is not firm enough will take too long to snap back and it will conform to the shape of your hand.
- Size: Depending on the brand you choose, there might be slight differences on how the mattress will fit into your crib. However, a good crib mattress should firmly fit well in the baby’s crib, leaving no spaces on the sides of your crib. Know the size of your baby’s crib first, then go for the best mattress.
- Weight: Since you have to change the sheets often to ensure cleanliness and avoid infections to your child, a mattress with a weight that you can handle is recommended. Weight should also be a factor because of cleaning the mattress to keep off pathogens.
- Price: A highly priced mattress doesn’t always mean that it is safe for your child. Moreover, you can only purchase what you can afford. Foam mattresses are cheaper and aren’t that durable whereas the innerspring or organic mattresses will cost you a bit more, are heavier and tend to last longer. It depends on, how long are you planning to use the mattress? Will you have another child who could use it in future? Sit and make the choice that is suitable for you.
- Ventilation: A mattress that has small holes on the sides is a good choice as it free from bad smells since it allows for venting. It also tends to smell better and your child could also sleep better. Air circulation is key when choosing a mattress
- Waterproof: It can also be a factor to consider when deciding on the type of mattress you want for your kid. A waterproof crib mattress doesn’t allow water to seep in. Your baby stays dry as the mattress is free from any kind of dampness. Infections to your baby are also reduced. The cover should also be machine washable. A waterproof mattress is also a plus because you can easily wipe it using a damp cloth and not worry about it taking too long yo dry.
- Convertibility: Some people wish to convert their baby's crib into a toddlers bed one day, you should, therefore, go for dual firmness convertible mattresses. They are firm for children and cushier for infants.
- Warranty: It should not be of much worry because most companies offer between 10-25 years warranty. But if you spend much money on a mattress, then you should ensure that the warranty is genuine. You should also keep it safely and present it in the case of a complaint. It is also important because a certain product you might have bought could not have been manufactured in very high quality as expected.
Types of materials used to make mattresses that you should consider
Foam crib mattresses
Foam crib mattresses are available in different sizes. They are highly affordable. However, they are not durable and are lighter as you can fold and carry them with you anytime. Portability is a remarkable feature in them. If you travel a lot, they could be a good choice for you. If you plan to use the mattress for another child other than the one you got at the moment of purchasing it, then you should look for a heavier mattress. Foam crib mattresses usually weigh between eight to thirteen pounds. High-density edges should also be put into consideration when deciding to purchase one.
Innerspring crib mattresses
Also known as coil spring mattresses -a higher coil count means a firmer surface, and that is what you should definitely go for. It is heavy due to the coiled steel used. It is more durable. Border rods are also an important feature to keep in mind. It is highly recommended that you should only go for those innerspring crib mattresses with border rods that go around the perimeter of the top and the bottom. They keep the mattress strong and prevents it from sagging when your baby stands or sits near the edges of the mattress.
Natural and organic crib mattresses
They are more expensive than the foam and inner spring mattresses. They are made from 100% organic materials. They are the healthiest option for your baby. Examples of materials used to make them include organic cotton and natural latex just to mention a few. It is free from chemicals and guarantees your baby no allergies. They are not common as compared to other types of mattresses. However, it is important to take your time and make sure that the price paid for the organic mattress is worth the features and comfort claimed. This is because different brands are made in very distinct ways.
Health benefits of choosing the best crib mattress for your baby
Organic mattresses keep your child from allergies like asthma and continuous sneezing and coughing. This is because of the natural materials used to make them. They can offer your child better sleep which is important for the child’s growth and development.
Foam mattresses are usually lighter and you can carry them along with you. This ensures that your baby gets enough and comfortable sleep whenever they fall asleep. This way, your child stays healthy.
A good firm mattress will ensure that your child sleeps comfortably. The child’s head and face are not buried as it can lead to sudden infant death which has been an increasing issue when it comes to choosing a good mattress for your baby.
Investing in a good mattress will ensure that your child sleeps comfortably; this will, in turn, beat germs from the child’s body. When you sleep, your body produces proteins known as cytokines. The body relies on them to fight infections and stress.
Firm mattresses can be of benefit to your child in that the better sleep can help the heart of your child. This is because blood circulation is improved and hence vascular damage is reduced.
When a baby gets good sleep, they are likely to avoid getting overweight. Poor sleep is associated with being overweight this mostly occurs in infants.
You should ensure that your baby gets enough and comfortable sleep by purchasing a good crib mattress as good sleep boosts learning and increase attention in kids.
Investing in the best crib mattress will also ensure that you can clean it and avoid dirt and infections. This helps keep your baby healthy. For instance, a good crib mattress is usually washable and you can wipe it to maintain cleanliness.
Don't have time to read through our detailed guide? check out our comparison table below to make the decision easier!
Keep reading for a more detailed overview of the best crib mattress options available.
What makes the best crib mattress the best choice?
Quality is key when deciding which the best choice for a crib mattress. Those mattresses made from quality materials are usually termed as the best. For instance, organic materials are healthy for your baby.
Price is also a factor. Highly priced mattresses are of high quality due to the materials used to make them.
The issue of being water- proof and fire resistant also makes them top the list.
Their long or lifetime warranty which can go for up to 25 years is also a remarkable feature that keeps you feeling protected when you purchase them. They give you a feeling that you are not spending your money for something that is not worth the cash.
The issue of convertibility is also key in determining whether a crib mattress is to be termed as the best choice. People love it when they can use it for their toddler and continue to use it even after they grow.
The different sizes available also make the best crib mattresses the best. People like items with different varieties and types from which they can choose from.
A good crib mattress should be well ventilated, having small holes on the sides to promote proper air circulation. The best crib mattresses have this feature. The proper air circulation keeps your mattress fresh and avoids bad smells. This way, you don't have to worry about bad smells and ventilation. The best crib mattress is firm enough; not so hard and not too soft.
Problems that might come up if you have or want to purchase a crib mattress
A crib mattress can be very firm to an extent that it makes your baby feel uncomfortable. This is determined by the type of manufacturer making the mattress. You should ensure that the mattress is only firm enough to offer comfortable sleep to your baby. Very hard mattresses can make it unbearable to sleep.
Some are very heavy and can be so tiring to move around. Changing the sheets and cleaning them can be even more difficult.
Others may not be well ventilated and end up smelling bad. Some are also not entirely waterproof which means they can get damp easily, this even makes it harder to clean them when they get dirty.
If you really want a very nice crib mattress, you must be willing to sacrifice and spend more money on it. This is because very good ones cost more.
It at times proves to be very difficult to estimate the right size of the mattress for your baby’s crib. Different manufacturers have their distinct ways of designing their brands. Although in most cases the size of the mattress is estimated to fit different cribs, slight differences in size also occur which means that you could purchase a mattress that won’t really fit in your Baby’s crib.
Why a crib mattress for your baby instead of a normal one?
They are more comfortable offering better sleep. The health benefits of getting quality sleep cannot be overlooked. It is with no doubt that crib mattresses are better compared to normal ones. Most are breathable and you can wash them easily since children can mess them up and apply dirt when playing. Another very good feature is firmness due to the probability that your child could snuggle in a compromising position and be unable to breathe.
Top 5 of the Best Crib Mattresses
- RECOMMENDED BY DR. JIM SEARS and many other pediatricians for your baby’s health, safety, and development
- 100% BREATHABLE DESIGN lets babies breathe right through the mattress significantly reducing the risk of suffocation; AIR CIRCULATION prevents sweaty backs and overheating
- COMPLETELY WASHABLE for the highest level of hygiene; contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens and is 100% recyclable
- COMPARES TO A 2-STAGE without having to flip the mattress over so you can use it for years
- WINNER OF NUMEROUS AWARDS including the 2015 JPMA Innovation Award; featured in the New York Times, ABC, The Bump, Bundoo, and more. Greenguard certified and proudly made in the USA
The Newton crib & toddler mattress was reviewed by customers who bought it as a good choice. Reviews from various people show that it is a comfortable mattress. The mattress is also said to meet safety and environmental requirements. Customers who have used it recommend it for anyone looking for an expensive organic mattress and put is a “must have”. This mattress is a great option and could easily be the best crib mattress for your needs.
One customer said that she bought the mattress based on positive feedback from friends and can’t wait for her baby to grow and use it because she finds it awesome. It was also said to fit in the baby’s crib like a glove and is firm and the baby seems so comfortable. It was also given a plus in being very breathable by another customer. Some reviews show that the customers who wanted to purchase it thought it was too expensive but after they bought and used it, however they confessed that it was worth the money spent.
The Newton crib & toddler mattress is 100% breathable, washable and also hypoallergenic. It is non-toxic meaning it contains no chemicals that could harm your baby. So overall it is a great choice, although perhaps a little pricey compared to other brands.
- Vinyl, polyethylene and PVC free, phthalates and lead free, non-toxic waterproof, durable nylon cove
- Extra firm high density foam infant side, firm high density foam toddler side, foam with CertiPUR certification
- Side stitched seams, waterproof, hypoallergenic
- Treated with ultra fresh for antimicrobial protection, easily cleaned with damp sponge
- MADE IN USA AND GREENGUARD® GOLD CERTIFIED. Like every other Moonlight Slumber product, our Little Dreamer is made in the USA and proudly bears GreenGuard Gold Certification
Moonlight slumber little dreamer dual firmness crib mattress got many extremely positive reviews from customers who purchased it. Most people said that they haven’t bought a better mattress than this one before. A customer said that everything changed after she bought his son the mattress and recorded better sleep and comfort. Another confessed that the mattress finally saved him and his wife the constant fights and disagreements on baby furniture. It is recommended for better sleep. However, there were complaints from a customer, but after contacting customer care at moonlight, she was issued with a new one which was fine. It also got more positive reviews in that it is easy to clean and fits the crib sheets nicely.
It is the best according to the reviews from customers. It is fairly light and weighs around 8.2 pounds. It is made from 100% foam and it is fire resistant. It is also waterproof. It is hypoallergenic keeping dust, mites, and allergens at bay.
Its cover is soft and of high quality. It has a good firmness balance. It also has dual sides for toddler and baby use. Its corners and edges are square guaranteeing a perfect fit. It has a nylon cover. It has side stitched seams. You can easily clean it using a damp sponge. It is also polyethylene, vinyl and PVC free. This crib mattress really has it all, and it may be the best crib mattress around.
- Extra firm lightweight foam crib mattress made with soybean oils provided by American farmers
- Pearl embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover for an easy-clean
- GREENGUARD® Children & Schools Certified: This entire mattress is GREENGUARD® Children & Schools certified for indoor air quality and low chemical emissions to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby
- Voted America’s Best Brand for Baby! Sealy crib mattresses and pads earned the Women’s Choice Award for 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
- Soy based high density foams provide reduced sagging and increased durability to provide firm support for sleeping infants
- Square cut corners for snug fit in cribs and can move to a toddler bed as your child grows
- Ships in Certified Frustration Free Packaging
Sealy soybean foam-core crib mattress was reviewed as not a very good choice for those who want the mattress to last for long and maybe use it in future. Some said that the edges of the mattress ruptured easily while others said that they have used the mattress for years and it is still in perfect condition. This could be down to manufacturing issues or just different expectations from customers, however if you are on a budget this mattress could be a great option for you.
It is, however, a good choice for those who want to use it only for a short period of time. Customers also reviewed it as bouncy and offering good comfort. Others questioned whether it was original. Another person who purchased it said that at first, they didn’t like how light the mattress felt but later found out that it was firm enough.
Its thickness offers perfect comfort. It measures 5 inches thick. It is safe and fire proof. It's compressed high-density offers comfort to your baby. It comes with a ten years warranty. It is also very durable and you can use it for years. It poses no risk of suffocation due to its firmness. It also has perfect dimensions for all cribs. Its light weight makes it easy to use and portable. The waterproof cover makes it easy to wipe and clean. The Sealy Soybean foam-core crib mattress comes in design patterns that you could choose from and so it is a good choice for those who love to accessorize on different designs. The materials used to make it realize zero toxic substances and so you can be sure that it is safe for your baby.
- Fits all American standard size of cribs
- 6” thick, dual-firmness crib mattress with Memory foam
- Waterproof, eco-friendly, and PVC free medical-grade HealthRite cover
- GREENGUARD Gold certified for no harmful emissions and CertiPUR-US® certified safe foam
- Made in the USA
Colgate Eco classical dual firmness mattress was reviewed as a good quality mattress. Most customers said that they had earlier done a comprehensive research on the best mattress and finally settled on this one. It is 100% organic according to the reviews. It was also very light and had no smell and very good ventilation. Some customers, however, complained that it might not have been made from 100% cotton as it was labeled 100% polyester, raising concerns about how genuine it was. It was given a thumb up in that the infant side is very distinguishable from the toddler’s side and there is a label in case you can’t make a clear distinction between the two.
The reviewer went ahead and said that it was not made from very heavy chemicals. A mom said that the Colgate mattress didn’t break down easily like other mattresses she had bought earlier for her other children. She said that the quality of the mattress was very good that even after using it for her son, it was still in like new condition and she even sold it.
The Colgate Eco Classical Dual Firmness mattress is suitable for almost all standard sized baby cribs. It is also waterproof and hypo-allergenic. It is GREEN GUARD gold certified for no harmful emissions. It also has a good firmness to keep your baby feeling comfortable during sleep.
- High density thermo-bonded fiber core provides firm support
- Lightweight and durable for long-lasting use throughout your child’s development
- Vinyl cover is waterproof and wipes clean easily
- Free of phthalates and lead
- This mattress has achieved GREENGUARD GOLD Certification
Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress was reviewed as very soft and comfortable. It is a recommended brand. A customer went ahead to say that it is a very great mattress for her son to an extent that her husband wants to get into the son's bedroom just to take naps on it. Another customer who bought it after she read many positive reviews concerning it said that the packing is perfect; it didn’t have a strong smell and recommends it to a friend. It was also termed as the best mattress that they have ever purchased attributed to its comfort.
Another customer said she is very pleased with the non-smelly mattress and low chemical usage.
As expected there were negative reviews too, where some customers said that it delivery time took too long and they were so disappointed in it. However, the positive reviews outweighed the negative ones.
Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress comes fifth in the list. When it comes to the crib mattress, this innovated mattress not only is water proof but also a breathable surface.
Which is the Best Crib Mattress?
Your baby’s comfort is with no doubt a priority to you. We all love it when our little angels are able to sleep comfortably and soundly with no disturbance. Purchasing the best crib mattress is a step closer to ensuring that your baby is comfortable. You should also buy that mattress which is not filled with air and water during the early months of your infant. The following are the best choices in crib mattresses, accompanied by reasons why they are termed as best and top the list.
The Moonlight Slumber is our top choice for the best crib mattress, based on it's countless reviews from happy customers. It is made from 100% foam and it is fire resistant. It is also waterproof. It is hypoallergenic keeping dust, mites, and allergens at bay. Its cover is soft and of high quality. It has a good firmness balance. It also has dual sides for toddler and baby use. Its corners and edges are square guaranteeing a perfect fit. It has a nylon cover. It has side stitched seams. You can easily clean it using a damp sponge. It is also polyethylene, vinyl and PVC free.
All in all, it has everything you could ask for to keep your baby comfortable and safe, as well as being able to use it as your child quickly grows into a toddler to make it the best crib mattress.
The Newton crib mattress closely follows after the moonlight slumber little dreamer for the best crib mattress. It is 100% breathable. It is also washable and hypoallergenic. It is non-toxic meaning it contains no chemicals that could harm your baby. Like the Moonlight Slumber, this mattress also sees your baby into their early years without having to purchase a replacement.